Laurel's Welding & Fabrication with Pipeline Technology program will prepare graduates for entry-level positions in welding repair, welder fabricator, industrial mechanics and pipefitter/welder. You will be trained in welding procedures, print reading, fabrication and layout. Additional instruction is provided in various processes and techniques of welding and fabrication skills.
Students will learn to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills, along with learning about judgement and decision-making.
Students entering into this field will develop the following attributes:
- Attention to detail
- Cooperation, ability to work on a team
- Self control
- Taking the initiative
- Working independently
- Analytical thinking
Laboratory activities also include oxyacetylene welding, brazing, and cutting (OAW), Arc Welding (SMAW), MIG Welding (GMAW), Flux Cored Welding (FCAW), TIG welding (GTAW), Pipe welding and certification test preparation per current industry standards, practices and techniques.
- Welding technician
EMPLOYER, INTERNSHIP, & CLINICAL PARTNERSHIPS
The following organizations partner with LBI & LTI to hire our graduates:
Integrated Fabrication and Machine
Shaft Drillers International
G.W. Becker Crane
....and many more
Upon completion of this program, the student will be prepared to take the AWS (American Welding Society) D1.1 Structural Welding Tests and will be prepared to take the ASME 6G pipe certfication.
Laurel Business/Technical Institute does not guarantee that a student will pass these certification examinations.
Degrees and Certificates
Why Choose This Program
Students in the Welding Program learn a variety of techniques, including Shielded Metal Arc Welding, Oxy-Acetylene Welding and Brazing, Gas Metal Arc Welding, Gas Tungsten Arc Welding, fuel gas and plasma cutting. They will also learn metallurgy, fabrication and equipment, automated machining, CADD, blueprint reading and safety procedures.
Welds will be made to industry standards using the AWS D1.1 Structural Code and AWS D1.3 structural welding code-sheet steel. Welds will be done in all positions, and guided bend tests will be made to check weld quality.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and interpret blueprints and codes.
- Use critical thinking skills and apply mathematics to solve Welding problems.
- Select appropriate welding technology, techniques, and be able to properly demonstrate welding ability with GMAW, GTAW, FCAW, SMAW, OFW, and Robotic Welding.
- Determine materials properties to insure safe handling and proper disposal of hazardous materials.
- Use appropriate forms of communications to effectively and efficiently communicate with costumers, co-workers and supervision.
- Apply critical thinking and decision-making processes to technical problem solving.
- Demonstrate the ability to schedule, plan, and manage time effectively so you are able to maintain a good attendance record.
Types of Careers
- Structural Steel
- Plant Maintenance
- Pipe Fitting
- Stainless steel Tank Fabrication.
- Structural steel fabrication
- Power plant construction
- Pipe fitting for medical grade equipment
- Pipe fitting for petroleum
- Equipment and robotics sales
- Transportation manufacturing
- Agricultural manufacturing and repair
- Off shore drilling construction
Accreditations & Credentials
American Welding Society (AWS) SENSE Program
Graduates of the Welding program can transfer their credits to the Applied Engineering major at Bemidji State University. You can also check out the Career Ladder with BSU.
Phone: (320) 308-5931
Fax: (320) 308-5981
In addition to tuition and fees, students can expect to pay $1480 for books, supplies, and materials.
The following scholarships are specifically for Welding students:
- American Welding Association
- DCI, Inc.
- Park Industries
- Polar Tank Industries
Apply just once, and students are considered for all SCTCC Scholarships that are offered!
Clubs & Organizations
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. SkillsUSA helps each student excel and provides educational programs, events and competitions that support career and technical education (CTE) in the nation’s classrooms.
SCTCC Student Clubs
You May Also Like
Central MN average hourly salary