Tufts University maintains a campus-wide annual subscription for EndNote. Please be aware that installation of EndNote software is available for computers that are:
- Tufts University owned or leased
- Personally-owned by patrons with a primary affiliation of Faculty*, Student, or Staff in the Tufts White Pages.
* Patrons with primary affiliation of Clinical may register for the online version of EndNote.
To have EndNote installed, call 617-636-3376, or send an email request to email@example.com.
TUSM student in the Maine Track and faculty affiliated with Maine Medical Center (MMC), may download EndNote for free using their MMC username/password at: https://my.mainehealth.org/mmc/Departments/Library/Pages/CitationsandBibliographies.aspx
Want to learn more about obtaining EndNote?
Please contact the Hirsh Health Sciences Library at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-636-3988.
Cite While You Write
Installing the Cite While You Write toolbar on your University IT Account
- Install EndNote.
Open Word and your EndNote Library.
Place the cursor where you want to insert a citation in Word - Click the EndNote tab.
- Click Insert Citation - Insert Citation.
- Enter a search term (.e.g author name or keyword).
- Highlight the reference/s you want to insert.
- Click insert.
If you wish to insert more than one citation, hold down the Ctrl key while clicking with your mouse, to highlight all the citations you want.
Create a Bibliography
Once you have finished inserting all your citations:
- In Word go to the EndNote tab.
- Choose the EndNote style you want from the drop down menu.
- Click Update Citations and Bibliography.
If the citation style you want is not listed then click Select Another Style. This will provide a list of hundreds of bibliographic styles.
Inserting Citations in Footnotes
- Create the footnote.
- Place the cursor in the footnote.
- Follow the instructions above.
Some styles are designed to be used specifically with footnotes such as the Chicago 15th A style and many of the other ‘humanities’ styles – see the notes field in the Style Manager to tell whether a style is designed for use with footnotes.
View more detailed instructions from the University of Queensland.
Editing Citations: Adding Page Numbers
- Click on the Update Citations and Bibliography in the EndNote tab in Word.
- Click on the citation you wish to edit.
- Go to the EndNote tab in Word.
- Click on Edit & Manage Citation(s).
- Make the changes to the citation that you require e.g. Add a page number
- Click on OK.
- Click on Update Citations and Bibliography again to see the changes.
If adding the page number in the page number field does not work, then use the suffix field.
Editing Citations: Excluding the Author or Year
- Right-click on the citation.
- Choose Edit Citation.
- Click Exclude Author or Exclude Year.
- Open your EndNote library.
- Highlight the citations you want to include in the bibliography by clicking on the relevant references in EndNote while holding down the control key.
- Select the citation style from the Style drop down list.
- Go to Edit.
- Select Copy Formatted.
- Open Word.
- Go to Edit - Paste.
- The references will then be pasted straight into your Word document.
- Open your EndNote Library.
- Go to Tools - Subject Bibliography
- Choose the field of interest e.g. author or keyword.
- Click OK.
- Select the term of interest.
- Click OK.
- EndNote will display a preview of the bibliography.
- Select the appropriate style from the Style drop down list.
- To print, click the Print button.
- To save, click the Save button.